Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Psalm 23

 

David the shepherd boy, caring for his fathers sheep, picked up his small harp, looked up into the deep blue sky and composed a song of praise, of trust, of hope, of home. 3000 years later we sing it with understanding and emotion.

“The Lord’s my shepherd, I’ll not want

He makes me down to lie

In pastures green He leadeth me the quiet waters by..”

The LORD who made the universe , the LORD who chose to interact with the peoples of earth – this is the one David claimed as his Shepherd.

1000years later Jesus descended from heaven and announced  “I am the Good Shepherd”

2000 years on and we today can look up and say “The LORD Jesus is my Shepherd!”

Life indeed is a journey with many twists and turns.  The destination is sure, in the Father’s house.

Ponder for a moment the journey:

-          A giving shepherd providing food and refreshment sufficient

-          A restoring shepherd for wandering souls

-          A guide along the way – God’s way

-          A companion in the valley, even death

-          A protector in danger

-          A provider in difficult times

-          A healer from the wounds and bruises of the journey

-          A cup overflowing with love undeserved

For David it was to trust in one whose Providence was enough in good times and bad times. This echoes in the word’s:

“Goodness and mercy all my life shall surely follow me”

This has a sense of trust for the future, but also can be a review of the past to the honour of the Great Shepherd.

Lastly, triumphantly – the destination.

“And in God’s house forevermore, my dwelling place shall be.”

The sheep was to return to the shepherd’s fold at the end of each day. But much greater is the final destination – abiding in the Great Shepherd’s own house”  - I hear the eternal word’s of the Good Shepherd – “In My Father’s house are many mansions… I go to prepare a place for you… that there you may be also”  (John 14)

How can it be?  Because Jesus Christ the Good Shepherd laid down His life for the sheep (us). Who are included?  “I am the door, by me if anyone enter in they will be saved…..other sheep have I”  (John 10)

And so the ultimate promise comes to all who trust Him.

“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. I give unto them eternal life and they will never perish. No one can pluck them out of My hand” (John 10:27)

And thus I concluded the funeral service  for one who loved the Lord.

“In God’s house forevermore, my dwelling place shall be”

A place of unfailing love, undisturbed peace, united praise.

No comments: