Pages

Sunday, November 26, 2023

Ready for the great here after?

 

Tomorrow

I am just in from distributing Bibles and Bible plaques at the local market. Last market a man fell down dead at  the market for no obvious reason. This market has reports of other sudden deaths (mainly middle aged people). This post pandemic disease (SDS) is all too frequent.

It causes me to ponder the responsibility of ensuring people are ready to die. Australians in their ‘laid back’ attitude ignore the thought of life after death and funerals have changed to ‘celebrating the life’ instead of looking into eternity.

            So is it real – existence after death? I will come to the solid rock of Jesus teaching soon, but for a moment I ponder happenings around me. At the same market was a man who was clinically dead for 6 minutes. He gave me his book of what he saw on the other side. I worked with a man who consciously departed his body, but was acutely aware of what was happening around him. I met another man at Laidley show, who had been to hell and fortunately was sent back. He said he quickly became a Christian.

So I investigated . A book from the local library impressed me ‘My descent into death’ by H. Storm. So real was his experience at death that his whole life was changed to serve the Lord Jesus.  Peter Fenwick, a non Christian scientist investigated 2000 near death experiences  and finally described the next life as ‘a greater reality’. Then I read the book by Dr Rawlings (Medical doctor) – ‘To hell and back’. As a doctor he reports on people who had been resuscitated . He changed from scepticism to assurance that the life beyond death is so real. A nurse I know so well will say the same.

            Much more evidence is out there. But I turn to the solid rock of the teaching of Jesus. He more than any other should know for He claimed to have come from the world of eternity.

At the beginning of His teaching, He pointed directly to the reality of heaven  where His Father was.  He said we should lay up our treasure in heaven and indicated it would be enjoyed in the life to come. He claimed to be the final judge who would welcome into His future kingdom dead men like Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Yet He claimed to have the authority to shut the door on those who did not truly know Him or whom He did not know as His sheep. He described their future as – outer darkness, torment, unending regret etc. He more than any other exposed the failure of religious hypocrisy  to save from hell.

            On the positive,  He it was who promised to go to the Father’s house to prepare a place for His own. A place unspoiled by evil, where doubt and death cannot enter. So one man said: “ What is the way to this place?”

Jesus made a simple yet significant response:  “I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me”.

Human religion does not like this exclusive claim of Jesus. But  He said that Eternal life was a gift that He gives to His sheep (John 10).

Much , much more could be written to verify the reality of life after death, but I conclude with the important question – are you prepared to meet God?

Or as Jesus said to the blind man : ”Do you believe on the Son of God?”

Not just about Him, His eternal claims, His divine being, His sacrificial death and resurrection.

 More to believe His word, trust His undeserved favour to forgive your sins, and commit to Him as your Lord and Saviour for time and for eternity.

When you enter the gate into His fold, His word is precious:

“My sheep hear my voice and I know them, and they follow Me.

I give unto them eternal life and they will never perish.”  (John 10)

This is solid rock and promises that hold for time and for eternity.

I encourage you to find real hope in reading the Bible. Look at the reality of heaven in the sermon on the mount (Matthew 5,6,7). Read the real assurance Jesus gives in John 10 and 14.

Take time  out to seek the Lord – He will not disappoint.

No comments: