Pages

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Comfort in the death of Christ Jesus our Lord

             My weekly articles have been delayed because my Mother passed away recently. In the midst of sorrow is there any consolation from the cross?  Yes, much indeed.
            My Mother looked ahead into the great hereafter with calm assurance that all was well for eternity. This assurance came not from her own goodness, but a simple faith in the promises of God which were verified as reliable by the knowledge that "Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, that He was buried and rose again the third day according to the scriptures". With real meaning one could say "The Son of God loved me and gave Himself for me"
              As I read the story of the crucifixion, I look a little beyond the great truths of atonement and hear the Saviour say to the repentant thief crucified next to Him - "Today you will be with Me in paradise"   This can only mean one thing - that beyond death there was a place of blessedness, being with Christ which is far better!

             Once again for those facing impending death, or mourning the loss, let us turn again our eyes upon Jesus, once crucified, now risen and living forever more.

John McKee

No comments: