Pages

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

The Blessing of the Lord

“God blesses those who realise their need for Him”
                                                 Matthew 5.3NLT

This first line of the sermon on the mount summarises the whole discourse. Other translations use “poor in spirit” and that is good. We ought not to be conceited, haughty or proud. But I think the NLT has captured the real point of the whole discourse. It is about a relationship with God as Father, that creates a reflection of God’s character along with a childlike dependence upon Him. This creates peace and stability as well as security.

The kingdom of God is characterized by this – a people who are insufficient of themselves, who look up to God as holy and God as Saviour and Lord. These are the ones He can teach to pray. The prayer the Lord taught the disciples was not about informing God concerning what He already knew, but expressing to God Almighty how much we need Him.
The blessing of God on ‘those who feel their need of Him’, leads to a walking with Lord.  To trust Him for every daily need, in obedience to His directions . This gives stability when the inevitable storms of life arrive. Such are ‘kept by the power of God.’ (1 Peter1)

I had thought that with study and age, I might have developed a sense of capability and confidence. And at times I have tried that position, only to fail. Rather I have learned the deep meaning of the simple prayer “ Lord help me” – whether in the details of everyday living , or in service for the Master. And thus this single line from the sublime teaching of Jesus Christ the Lord, has become very precious to me. I trust it will likewise be precious to you.

It is so much like the first line of Psalm 23 – “The Lord is my Shepherd,  I shall not want”


He becomes our all sufficiency, and ‘His strength is made perfect in our weakness.’(2 Corinthians 12)

J McKee

No comments: