Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2022

A debt paid

 

When we were utterly helpless,

Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners. 

Bible -Romans 5:6

Helplessness is not something we enjoy. Yet in life it is a moment when we discover the kindness of others. I was quite helpless when I was electrocuted – locked onto the electric current, unable to move or speak. Only through the wise action of my wife in turning the power off, am I alive today.

Most psychology systems seek to use self help. But God has a different approach. Jesus said we need to become as little children, not immature, but childlike in trust and dependence on Him. It was special to me when my children accepted my word, especially in moments of danger. They trusted my wisdom to make things work out for their good.

            So it is vital that we accept God's word. God speaking through Jesus and His apostles is trustworthy. He knows our helplessness better than we do. He has a twofold solution to our greatest needs. From His perspective, sin is very offensive and warrants judgement (like in a court case). He sees the debt of sin and has paid that debt in the death of His Son, Jesus Christ. Secondly He sees the problem of unconquerable bad habits. To the repentant person, He grants freely the Holy Spirit to change hate to love , despair and depression to joy, from fear to peace, from impatience to patience, from greed to generosity, from vindictiveness to self control. God's way is to change people  from the inside to outside. Then society will change as the people change. For all who feel their need (helplessness), God has promised transformation.

"Despite all these things, victory is ours through Christ Jesus who loved us."  Romans 8:37

Perhaps you don't have a Bible to check what I am referring to – I have some to give away and your request is welcome.

johnmckee@internode.on.net

No comments: