Pages

Sunday, May 24, 2020

Our hope for the future in times of bereavement


Bible message

1   A God we can depend upon- in good times and difficult
2    A future secure – a better land beyond, where Jesus is.

Let us read from the words of the Lord Himself
John 14.1
"Let not your heart be troubled, you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many mansions, If it were not so I would have told you.
I go to prepare a place for you, and if I go and  prepare a place for you , I will come again and receive you unto  Myself:
That where I am, there you may be also.
And where I go you know, and the way you know.
Thomas said unto Him ' Lord we know not......'
Jesus answered "I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father but by Me."

Troubles – yes Let the LORD God handle our troubles – HE IS ABLE.
God is Almighty, He is Holy, He is the LORD our Saviour, our Shepherd  and we can leave our troubles with Him.
Peter was in trouble – he had just promised the Lord that he would follow  Jesus no matter what – even death. And he failed. The grace of the forgiveness Jesus is recorded in John 21.
God revealed in Jesus Christ likewise filled with Grace and truth.
    -----   He is one in whom we can trust

The Lord Jesus gave directions about the present – He had just said "Love one another as I have loved you".
Now He is concerned about the future and He says  "I go to prepare a place for you"
Jesus had tasted the disappointments of earth, and wanted something better, much better for those who loved Him.  A special place in the Fathers house.
It seems as though something extra needed to be done to accommodate humans in heaven. Angels fitted into the spiritual character of heaven – they are spirit beings. But to have a special place for humans – well the Lord made the promise to go and prepare the place. Then He promised to come again  for the distinct purpose of taking his own, 

His sheep to the Father's house.
Then someone interrupted ' but how do we get there?
Jesus replied " I am the way there!"
The Lord Jesus  is the only way to heaven, He told the truth about the future and He gives new life, eternal life to all who trust Him

The Lord Jesus  Christ was going to the Father house by way of the cross, His resurrection and His ascension.
For us death has become a doorway to heaven. Death should have been the wages of our sin. 'But Jesus died for me'.
For us in Christ, resurrection is a happy prospect.
For us to be caught up into the Fathers house is our sure hope – accepted there because of the Sacrifice of Christ on the cross.

Another Bible verse:
1 John 3:2
"Beloved  now are we the children of God, and it does not yet appear what we shall be, but we know that when HE shall appear we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is."

Today we say an eternal farewell to our friend in Adam.
Tomorrow we will greet him as in Christ.
When we meet in heaven, all  the old agitating habits, the impatience etc will be gone. We will be changed to be like HIM, the Man in the glory. Well might John the apostle write:   'there is so much we don't know, but this we do know – we shall be like HIM'
We will see the face of our Beloved Lord and each one will reflect the glory of HIS radiant face.

Face to face with Christ my Saviour
Face to face what will it be
When with rapture I behold Him
Jesus Christ who died for me

Only faintly now I see Him
With the darkling veil between
But the blessed day is coming
When His glory shall be seen.

What rejoicing in His presence
When are banished grief and pain
When the crooked ways are straightened
And the dark things shall be plain

Face to face  O blissful moment
Face to face to see and know
Face to face with my Redeemer
Jesus Christ who loves me so


Face to face I shall behold Him
Far beyond the starry sky
Face to face in all His glory
I shall see Him bye and bye

No comments: